Pages

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Peeling Away the Layers....

"I just want us to live in peace!" This is what I would say to my husband almost every day until I realized well why can't we??? We are the creators of our life and living joyfully and peacefully is our wish. We are taking back our power.

As I realized that we can create the life we want for our family. I also realized that we were so intertwined with everyday mainstream life. The biggest change right now is homeschooling our children. We have a five year old girl and a two year old boy. Both children have mild hearing losses and speech difficulties. However, I always knew I wanted to homeschool my children, regardless. I was a public school special education teacher as well as a learning consultant. I left my job, to be with my babies and it was the best decision I ever made.

We decided to allow our children to work with therapists since they were born. We thought we were making the right decision getting early intervention, but its never ending. I know that the therapists mean well, but it took over our lives. I would have to argue with therapists to give us a break so my children can have time to play or even rest when they were feeling sick. I just kept thinking, what's wrong with this picture?? My children have no playing time! They never had time to play with friends. I felt like my 5 year old baby was burning out with all this therapy. I felt like I was burning out doing nothing but therapy.

Then I just woke up one morning and said,"I can't do this anymore!" I'm tired of listening to everyone else telling me what's best for my children. I told my husband we have to change the way we live now. We are taking back our power. This is our family, our beautiful, sweet children, and I want all of us to be happy.

This is where we are now. Peeling away the layers, trying to detangle our lives from the mainstream ways of life. We are reducing significantly therapies, which at this point I feel like I could be an occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, and teacher of the deaf. I have learned so much from all the therapists and I am greatful for them for teaching me. But now I must stop this. I cannot live this lifestyle anymore. So we have just begun to homeschool and I would love to document our family's journey to a simple life as well as our homeschool journey.

Has anyone else ever felt like this or experienced this in their lives?

5 comments:

  1. Hi!!

    I hope this new journey makes all your little family smile to life and freeedom!!

    In spanish we say "tomar las riendas de tu vida" to refer to change things in your life and "be the chief".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sylvia for your words of encouragement. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you for this post! So often I feel that I am in a struggle against well intentioned people (from physicians to educators) for control of my family. I applaud you for taking back control and peeling off the layers! Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Emilie for your support! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way! More to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am here from my friend Beth's blog (Acorn Pies) I love the sweet dolls she made for your children! We are also a homeschooling family and I wish you peace and lots of play at home with your little ones xo

    ReplyDelete